Family - it's where your story begins.

Friday, October 3, 2008

Soccer

Last night when my husband and oldest son (11) came home from soccer practice, my husband quietly told me that he will not attend any more practices or games since our son yelled at him and told him not to talk to him during practice. It made no sense to me, so I asked him to expand on that. Apparently my husband was encouraging J to kick and dribble the ball, but J took offense or something and got mad. J told his dad not to holler or yell (that's not what he was doing) at him during games and/or practice. My husband got mad and that was the end of it.

Now I'm stuck attending all the practices and all the games... without my husband. I go normally, but it's nice to have someone to watch with. I told J last night at bedtime how hurt his dad was about all this and that he should really think about what he is saying to his dad and to be respectful of him. I said that his dad really enjoyed the practices and the games, but now he doesn't want to go because he's afraid if he says something, J will get angry with him.

Kids are not little adults. They don't think like we do and don't understand when adults take what they say in a different way than intended. I explained this to my husband but he was just too angry to let it sink in.

I hope that with a couple days of a cooling-off period that this blows over.

No comments: